Sunday, November 18, 2012

Have I given plausible but untrue reasons for my behavior? What have they been?

In the past my behavior has gotten progressively worse, and so my excuses for not being at work became less plausible as I continued to take more time off. Now that I am clean I continue having problems getting Diana to school on time. I blame this for my medication, but in actuality the problem has to do with my inability to fall asleep at night. This is most likely caused by the amount and timing of my caffeine intake. Throughout my past I have blamed my childhood for various deficiencies that I experienced. For some reason I felt that I was entitled to a break because I had suffered in the past. But unfortunately that's not the way life works. Currently I do have a legitimate mental disorder, but properly managed it does not affect my life adversely to a great degree. I do experience ups and downs like any other human but I am just as well equipped as other people to handle these difficulties. One of the main issues I have is my tendency to isolate myself. I have found it very difficult to deal with the imperfections of other people. Sometimes the only people I feel comfortable with are those who's imperfections are very obvious. This is a safety measure for me because I don't have to seek out what they are hiding. I remember when I was young, I told myself to never trust another person. I did this for my own safety and have kept up a wall around myself all of my life. In the past I have always justified that I simply couldn't find the right kind of people to be around. But eventually it became clear to me that any one I meet will be imperfect in some way and that I need to be able to accept them in spite of their imperfection, even though it makes me feel vulnerable.

6 comments:

  1. Wow. This helped me tons. I am doing my first run through the step working guide but I was having trouble with this question. You helped direct me in how I could answer this for myself. Thank you and search engines :D!

    P.S. I can identify with the isolation. It's been one of the harder things I've been trying to change about myself because I know I need to make that connection with others in the halls. I haven't been able to do things on my own to any avail in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I think that the diversity of people is one of the reasons I hesitate to be around people or to get to know them they might not like me. Feelings of inadequacy I suppose

      Delete
  3. Great,definitely gets me going in the right direction for answering this question.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, this time around I am doing the Twelve Step's of N/A and spilling out everything. I to suffer from Mental illness's, but they r manageable

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still slightly confused on how to write my answer. I'm sure I'm overthinking this . Go figure.

    ReplyDelete